Court to proceed with Tommy's corruption case
Court to proceed with Tommy's corruption case
JAKARTA (JP): A panel of judges at the South Jakarta District
Court on Monday decided to proceed with the indictment of Hutomo
"Tommy" Mandala Putra, the youngest son of former president
Soeharto, for his alleged role in a Rp 95.4 billion (US$10.9
million) land scam.
Some expected the case to be dismissed after a different panel
of judges at the court ruled last week to drop the indictment
against Beddu Amang, former chief of the State Logistics Agency
(Bulog), another suspect in the alleged scam.
Presiding judge R. Soenarto told the court on Monday that the
prosecutor's indictment of Tommy was "clear, accurate and
complete", as required by Article 143 (2) of the Criminal Code.
He ruled the court rejected the defense lawyers' request for
dismissal.
"Concerning the lawyers' statement that the case is a purely
civil case, it will be examined in ensuing sessions," Soenarto
said in the session, broadcast live by private television station
ANteve.
Most of Tommy's dozens of supporters in the courtroom jeered
the judge's announcement.
The supporters earlier chanted "Long live Tommy, long live
Tommy" as the former president commissioner of wholesaler PT Goro
Batara Sakti entered the court at 10 a.m.
Attired in his customary trial outfit of yellow batik shirt
and black pants, Tommy answered the greeting by smiling and
waving before sitting in the defendant's chair.
The supporters irked Soenarto by clapping as he read the
provisional decision.
He banged his gavel on the table and ordered them to be quiet.
"You're not allowed to clap your hands and make noise here,"
Soenarto said.
Tommy's lawyer M. Dault said he would appeal the provisional
decision to the Jakarta High Court.
Dault said the prosecutors should present Bulog's new chief
Rahardi Ramelan to testify as a witness in the next session.
"Although the court decided to proceed with the trial, it
doesn't mean that Mas (brother) Tommy is already guilty," he said
outside the court.
"We'll prove (his innocence) in the next sessions."
Not Rahardi
Separately, prosecutor Fachmi said he would present witnesses
from Bulog, but not Rahardi.
"Rahardi is not included on our list of witnesses. Let the
lawyers summon the new Bulog chief to testify to help lighten the
charge," Fachmi said.
Soenarto adjourned the trial until next week to hear
witnesses' testimony.
When Tommy left the courtroom, his supporters -- mostly
youths from Cikarang, Bekasi, and Mangga Besar in Central Jakarta
-- serenaded him with patriotic songs.
Tommy's bodyguards and several supporters hastily encircled
the businessman, famed for his intense media exposure during his
father's rule, to block reporters from getting too close.
He proceeded to his Timor jeep without commenting to the
media.
In a separate courtroom at the district court on Monday, a
Bulog executive testified in the trial of the other defendant in
the land scam, businessman Ricardo Gelael.
Called by the prosecution, Bulog's deputy chief in charge of
finance, Ruskandar, surprised many by contradicting his
statements from court dossiers.
He testified the agency lost nothing in its cooperation with
Goro.
His remarks drew smiles from the judges, prosecutors and
particularly Ricardo's lawyers, led by O.C. Kaligis.
In the dossiers, Ruskandar stated Bulog lost Rp 52 billion in
the land exchange deal.
On Monday, he insisted Goro used the agency's funds of Rp 52
billion to buy a 65-hectare plot in Marunda, North Jakarta, which
he said was later ceded to Bulog.
"So, the agency suffered no losses in the cooperation,"
Ruskandar told the court.
Presiding judge Jalius Amin adjourned Ricardo's trial until
Monday next week to hear witness testimony.
Along with Beddu, Tommy and Ricardo were charged under Article
1 (a) of Corruption Law No. 3/1971, which carries a maximum
penalty of life imprisonment or 20 years in jail and/or a Rp 30
million fine.
Beddu signed an agreement with Tommy in February 1995 for the
exchange of Bulog's 50-hectare warehouse complex in Kelapa
Gading, North Jakarta, for 125 hectares of land in Marunda.
The agreement was canceled by Rahardi Ramelan in March last
year.
Rahardi has repeatedly said the agreement did not cause losses
to the agency.
Last week, the court threw out the indictment against Beddu,
terming it unclear, inaccurate and incomplete.
Prosecutor Soehardjono accepted the decision but decided to
renew the indictment. (jun)
JAKARTA (JP): A panel of judges at the South Jakarta District
Court on Monday decided to proceed with the indictment of Hutomo
"Tommy" Mandala Putra, the youngest son of former president
Soeharto, for his alleged role in a Rp 95.4 billion (US$10.9
million) land scam.
Some expected the case to be dismissed after a different panel
of judges at the court ruled last week to drop the indictment
against Beddu Amang, former chief of the State Logistics Agency
(Bulog), another suspect in the alleged scam.
Presiding judge R. Soenarto told the court on Monday that the
prosecutor's indictment of Tommy was "clear, accurate and
complete", as required by Article 143 (2) of the Criminal Code.
He ruled the court rejected the defense lawyers' request for
dismissal.
"Concerning the lawyers' statement that the case is a purely
civil case, it will be examined in ensuing sessions," Soenarto
said in the session, broadcast live by private television station
ANteve.
Most of Tommy's dozens of supporters in the courtroom jeered
the judge's announcement.
The supporters earlier chanted "Long live Tommy, long live
Tommy" as the former president commissioner of wholesaler PT Goro
Batara Sakti entered the court at 10 a.m.
Attired in his customary trial outfit of yellow batik shirt
and black pants, Tommy answered the greeting by smiling and
waving before sitting in the defendant's chair.
The supporters irked Soenarto by clapping as he read the
provisional decision.
He banged his gavel on the table and ordered them to be quiet.
"You're not allowed to clap your hands and make noise here,"
Soenarto said.
Tommy's lawyer M. Dault said he would appeal the provisional
decision to the Jakarta High Court.
Dault said the prosecutors should present Bulog's new chief
Rahardi Ramelan to testify as a witness in the next session.
"Although the court decided to proceed with the trial, it
doesn't mean that Mas (brother) Tommy is already guilty," he said
outside the court.
"We'll prove (his innocence) in the next sessions."
Not Rahardi
Separately, prosecutor Fachmi said he would present witnesses
from Bulog, but not Rahardi.
"Rahardi is not included on our list of witnesses. Let the
lawyers summon the new Bulog chief to testify to help lighten the
charge," Fachmi said.
Soenarto adjourned the trial until next week to hear
witnesses' testimony.
When Tommy left the courtroom, his supporters -- mostly
youths from Cikarang, Bekasi, and Mangga Besar in Central Jakarta
-- serenaded him with patriotic songs.
Tommy's bodyguards and several supporters hastily encircled
the businessman, famed for his intense media exposure during his
father's rule, to block reporters from getting too close.
He proceeded to his Timor jeep without commenting to the
media.
In a separate courtroom at the district court on Monday, a
Bulog executive testified in the trial of the other defendant in
the land scam, businessman Ricardo Gelael.
Called by the prosecution, Bulog's deputy chief in charge of
finance, Ruskandar, surprised many by contradicting his
statements from court dossiers.
He testified the agency lost nothing in its cooperation with
Goro.
His remarks drew smiles from the judges, prosecutors and
particularly Ricardo's lawyers, led by O.C. Kaligis.
In the dossiers, Ruskandar stated Bulog lost Rp 52 billion in
the land exchange deal.
On Monday, he insisted Goro used the agency's funds of Rp 52
billion to buy a 65-hectare plot in Marunda, North Jakarta, which
he said was later ceded to Bulog.
"So, the agency suffered no losses in the cooperation,"
Ruskandar told the court.
Presiding judge Jalius Amin adjourned Ricardo's trial until
Monday next week to hear witness testimony.
Along with Beddu, Tommy and Ricardo were charged under Article
1 (a) of Corruption Law No. 3/1971, which carries a maximum
penalty of life imprisonment or 20 years in jail and/or a Rp 30
million fine.
Beddu signed an agreement with Tommy in February 1995 for the
exchange of Bulog's 50-hectare warehouse complex in Kelapa
Gading, North Jakarta, for 125 hectares of land in Marunda.
The agreement was canceled by Rahardi Ramelan in March last
year.
Rahardi has repeatedly said the agreement did not cause losses
to the agency.
Last week, the court threw out the indictment against Beddu,
terming it unclear, inaccurate and incomplete.
Prosecutor Soehardjono accepted the decision but decided to
renew the indictment. (jun)