Business yet to resume in Ujungpandang
Business yet to resume in Ujungpandang
UJUNGPANDANG, South Sulawesi (JP): After being hit by three
days of riots, the city remained peaceful here yesterday as
officials urged residents to remain calm and resume their daily
activities.
South Sulawesi Governor Zainal Basri Palaguna urged the
business community and shop owners to resume their normal
activities, assuring them that everything was under control.
Public activities gradually returned to normal, although
private schools were still not open.
Most business centers and shops were still closed.
Palaguna personally went to the streets to meet shop owners,
but many still looked hesitant about opening.
"Please resume your activities so that our economy won't be
stagnant," the governor said to nodding traders at Makassar Mall.
Only the traditional markets in Pasar Terong and Pasar
Pa'baeng-baeng appeared to return to normal.
Despite yesterday's apparent calm, another riot erupted late
Wednesday night in Polongbangkeng, Takalar, south of the city.
Some 1,500 villagers attacked the police subprecinct office in
protest of officers who allegedly harassed and seized a
villager's motorcycle.
"The mob outnumbered the 10 police personnel and then badly
damaged the office," said a local resident.
Many Ujungpandang residents continued to place placards in
front of their homes and shops yesterday saying they were Moslem
or indigenous people.
Others displayed either their praying mats or clothes on their
car windows to signify they were Moslem.
The riots began late Monday following the murder of 9-year-old
Anni Muhahidah Rasulullah by an ethnic Chinese man, Benny, who
supposedly was mentally unstable.
A mob then killed Benny and went on a rampage throughout the
city. Sporadic disruptions continued until Wednesday.
The death toll in the riot stands at six victims.
Thousands of armed troops and police remain on alert along the
main streets of the city.
Armed Forces (ABRI) Commander Feisal Tanjung is expected to
inspect the city today.
National Commission on Human Rights members Koesparmono Irsan,
Soegiri and Baharuddin Lopa are also slated to arrive this
morning.
"Our mission is to investigate human rights violations during
the riots there," Lopa said in Jakarta yesterday.
Ujungpandang Mayor Malik Masry said the riot caused Rp 17.5
billion in losses.
Al least eight nightclubs, a Buddhist temple, a Protestant
church, 25 shops, 10 cars and 58 motorcycles were burned. Another
1,471 shops, 67 cars and 100 motorcycles were damaged.
Antara quoted Ujungpandang Police Chief Col. Muh. Darus as
saying that 516 people had been questioned.
However, only 55 of them were officially detained for their
alleged role in the riots and looting.
Governor Palaguna also visited the state-run Alaudin Islamic
Institute. It was still closed yesterday following a clash
between students and security forces on Wednesday. Seven students
were hospitalized for their injuries, and some students were
arrested after the clash.
Dozens of students marched to the provincial legislative
council building yesterday to demand the release of their
friends.
After a heated debate with police, they were allowed to meet
with some of the legislators. (05/30/31/prb)
UJUNGPANDANG, South Sulawesi (JP): After being hit by three
days of riots, the city remained peaceful here yesterday as
officials urged residents to remain calm and resume their daily
activities.
South Sulawesi Governor Zainal Basri Palaguna urged the
business community and shop owners to resume their normal
activities, assuring them that everything was under control.
Public activities gradually returned to normal, although
private schools were still not open.
Most business centers and shops were still closed.
Palaguna personally went to the streets to meet shop owners,
but many still looked hesitant about opening.
"Please resume your activities so that our economy won't be
stagnant," the governor said to nodding traders at Makassar Mall.
Only the traditional markets in Pasar Terong and Pasar
Pa'baeng-baeng appeared to return to normal.
Despite yesterday's apparent calm, another riot erupted late
Wednesday night in Polongbangkeng, Takalar, south of the city.
Some 1,500 villagers attacked the police subprecinct office in
protest of officers who allegedly harassed and seized a
villager's motorcycle.
"The mob outnumbered the 10 police personnel and then badly
damaged the office," said a local resident.
Many Ujungpandang residents continued to place placards in
front of their homes and shops yesterday saying they were Moslem
or indigenous people.
Others displayed either their praying mats or clothes on their
car windows to signify they were Moslem.
The riots began late Monday following the murder of 9-year-old
Anni Muhahidah Rasulullah by an ethnic Chinese man, Benny, who
supposedly was mentally unstable.
A mob then killed Benny and went on a rampage throughout the
city. Sporadic disruptions continued until Wednesday.
The death toll in the riot stands at six victims.
Thousands of armed troops and police remain on alert along the
main streets of the city.
Armed Forces (ABRI) Commander Feisal Tanjung is expected to
inspect the city today.
National Commission on Human Rights members Koesparmono Irsan,
Soegiri and Baharuddin Lopa are also slated to arrive this
morning.
"Our mission is to investigate human rights violations during
the riots there," Lopa said in Jakarta yesterday.
Ujungpandang Mayor Malik Masry said the riot caused Rp 17.5
billion in losses.
Al least eight nightclubs, a Buddhist temple, a Protestant
church, 25 shops, 10 cars and 58 motorcycles were burned. Another
1,471 shops, 67 cars and 100 motorcycles were damaged.
Antara quoted Ujungpandang Police Chief Col. Muh. Darus as
saying that 516 people had been questioned.
However, only 55 of them were officially detained for their
alleged role in the riots and looting.
Governor Palaguna also visited the state-run Alaudin Islamic
Institute. It was still closed yesterday following a clash
between students and security forces on Wednesday. Seven students
were hospitalized for their injuries, and some students were
arrested after the clash.
Dozens of students marched to the provincial legislative
council building yesterday to demand the release of their
friends.
After a heated debate with police, they were allowed to meet
with some of the legislators. (05/30/31/prb)