Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Building owners reject govt's plan to destroy fences

| Source: JP

Building owners reject govt's plan to destroy fences

JAKARTA (JP): Owners of high-rise buildings along Jl. M.H.
Thamrin are demanding the city review its plan which will tear
down fences between buildings to make the street "friendlier".

Sari Pan Pacific Hotel's communication director, Satria Wira,
said Saturday that building owners were not against the plan to
demolish fences separating buildings.

"We just want adjustments to the plan based on the condition
of each building," Satria told The Jakarta Post.

Under the plan, called the Thamrin Walk, the fences between
high-rise buildings would be torn down to widen the sidewalks and
create a friendlier atmosphere for pedestrians.

The sidewalks will be expanded to between seven and eight
meters wide.

The plan is estimated to affect 20 high-rise buildings,
excluding embassies, along the 1.65 km-long Jl. M.H. Thamrin.

Satria said owners did not object to the plan.

"But widening the sidewalks will automatically take up some of
the buildings' space, including parking lots. That's why we want
some adjustments," he said.

Their request, he said, was sent to the municipality earlier
this month.

Among the owners who proposed adjustments were Sari Pan
Pacific Hotel, Bank Jaya, BPPT and Skyline buildings, he said.

"I don't remember the others," Satria said.

He also said the plan to build a cafe in front of Sari Pan
Pacific should be changed.

"It's up to us whether to build a cafe, or not. Our hotel has
its own image which we intend to keep," Satria said.

Meanwhile, Councilor Ali Wongso H. Sinaga of the Golkar
faction said Friday that the plan was very important because it
would eliminate the capitalistic atmosphere of the street.

"The plan will make the city friendlier and, therefore, should
be supported. The building owners and the administration should
discuss the matter," Ali said.

He said the administration would be willing to listen to
owners and make necessary changes.

"This is an important plan and the city really wants it to
materialize," Ali said.

Last month, Central Jakarta Mayor Abdul Kahfi said the plan
had received a positive response from the building owners.

But he said it was unlikely that the plan, originally to
commence in October, would begin as scheduled.

It is estimated that the plan will cost about Rp 13.2 billion
(about US$4.98 million): Rp 6.3 billion for street median strips,
sprinklers and decorative lamps; and Rp 6.86 billion for new
drainage and ducting utilities.

It is estimated that 20 building owners will contribute
another Rp 8.5 billion: Rp 6.8 billion to tear down fences and
walls, pave sidewalks and plant trees; and Rp 1.7 billion to
provide bus stops, kiosks, pedestrian lamps, waste bins, benches
and direction signs.

Deputy Governor of Economic and Development Affairs Tb.M. Rais
said the plan should make the city a more humane and friendly
place.

The city plans to do the same on Jl. Jend. Sudirman in Central
Jakarta and Mangga Dua in North Jakarta. (ste)

View JSON | Print