Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Authorities to remove illegal banners from streets

| Source: JP
Authorities to remove illegal banners from streets

JAKARTA (JP): The city administration will remove illegal
banners displaying political messages which have been placed on
major streets throughout the city, Deputy Governor for
Administrative Affairs Abdul Kahfi said over the weekend.

Kahfi said the clean-up was necessary because the banners
presence detracted from the city's beauty.

"People are not allowed to display banners wherever they like
without abiding by existing regulations," he said. "That's why I
will instruct my staff to remove the banners as soon as
possible."

He did not however say when the clean-up campaign would start.

Banners commenting on calls to investigate former president
Soeharto's wealth and bring him to trial for alleged abuse of
power during his 32 year rule have appeared on the city's streets
since he resigned from the presidency on May 21.

One of the areas where political banners are most visible is
near the statue of Pak Tani (near Jl. Prapatan and Jl. Arif
Rahman Hakim) in Central Jakarta, where 10 vie for the attention
of passing members of the public.

The slogans emblazoned on the different colored cloths read:
"Stop persecuting former president Soeharto and avoid bloodshed";
"Be united Habibie, Mega, Amien Rais -- the people are hungry",
in reference to the new President and two prominent opposition
figures and; "Investigate Soeharto's wealth and try him".

Similar banners can also be seen in other areas, including on
Jl. Diponegoro in Central Jakarta, and Jl. Jend. Sudirman and
Pasar Minggu in South Jakarta.

Some of the banners disappeared yesterday, but two huge white
banners remained on Jl. Ridwan Rais and Jl. Prapatan which
stated: "Slander, Blasphemy, Revenge. Be careful! Neo 1965" and
"Don't only talk about politics, people are hungry!"

Toha Reno, a city public order official, said that so far
there had been no official instruction to begin removing the
banners. "I think some of the banners have been taken away by
those who put them up in the first place," he told The Jakarta
Post.

He said that the displaying of banners, except for government
purposes, was prohibited on major thoroughfares and areas near
the National Monument (Monas) park in Central Jakarta.

The Monas park has been declared a "banner-free" area, he
said, adding that displaying banners in other areas required
permission from the administration.

Toha admitted that it was a difficult task to put political
banners out because officials were afraid of being involved in
the pros or cons debate. "That's why the action should be
integrated with officials of the city's social and political
directorate as well," he said.

Toha said he did not know which individuals or organizations
were responsible for the banners.

City councilor Saud Rahman has urged the administration to
remove the banners to comply with existing regulations.

"Besides being detrimental to the city's beauty, the banners
'war' has also created a feeling of insecurity among city
residents," he said. (ind)
View JSON | Print