Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Aceh safe for President's visit, Widodo says

| Source: JP
Aceh safe for President's visit, Widodo says

JAKARTA (JP): Despite continued security disturbances in
certain parts of Aceh, the strife-torn province is safe for the
planned visit of President Megawati Soekarnoputri early
September, says Indonesian Military Commander Adm. Widodo A.S.

"Overall the province is secure. Both the (Aceh) governor and
local security authorities recommend the President proceed with
the visit," he said, when asked on Friday about the situation in
the province ahead of Megawati's visit.

Widodo, along with a team of Cabinet ministers and other
military officials, visited Aceh last week to observe the real
conditions there following the tension in the province on the eve
of the celebration of Indonesia's Independence Day on Aug. 17. At
least 30 workers of an oil palm plantation were killed and at
least 50 school buildings were torched by the Free Aceh Movement
(GAM) over the last two weeks.

GAM referred to the visiting ministers as "tourists" and
criticized Jakarta's insistence on maintaining its grip on the
troubled province.

Widodo admitted that the military has launched a limited
security operation in the province as part of a comprehensive
approach initiated by the government in search of a peaceful
solution to the Aceh problem.

"In addition to such a security approach, the government will
also continue holding dialogs and accelerating development
programs to improve the local people's welfare," he said.

He said that despite the sporadic disturbances, security
authorities had no plans of deploying a significant number of
troops to the province.

"Troop reinforcement depends on condition in the field."
Widodo hailed the launching of the limited military operation
which was made possible under the 2001 presidential instruction,
saying it had resulted in a favorable climate in certain troubled
areas.

"The regional administrations have been effective in certain
troubled regencies after the launching of the operation," he
said, citing PT Exxon Indonesia had resumed operations after
temporarily suspending its activities due to security problems.

He however conceded that the deployment of more troops and
police to the northern and eastern parts of the province had
forced GAM to move the target of their attacks to the central and
eastern areas.

Meanwhile, Army Strategic Reserves Command (Kostrad) chief Lt.
Gen. Ryamizard Ryacudu called on the government on Friday to take
stern measures against GAM members after two years of
negotiations had failed to solve Aceh's problems.

The three-star general also asserted that GAM was clearly a
separatist movement that must be eliminated.

"In any country in the world, a rebel movement would be
eliminated. They (GAM) have been offered the chance for peace and
reconciliation and they have rejected it ... it means that they
do not want peace," Ryamizard told the media after a joint
police-military weekly sports event at the National Monument
(Monas) in Jakarta.

The general said both the government and the Indonesian
Military (TNI) had been encouraging negotiations and the peace
effort to resolve the Aceh issue.

"But during the humanitarian pause, which lasted over a year,
GAM remained defiant. There is much proof of this, including the
rampant bombings that occurred during that period. It means that
they (the rebels) are getting good at what they do and if we just
remain quiet their excesses will increase," he explained.

Ryamizard further said that the government should devise an
alternative way to solve the Aceh dispute.

"That's my logic. Do we want this nation to be torn apart? If
we let them (the rebels), they'll continue eating our hearts
out ... while so many have died. A rebel movement has been
clearly taking place in Aceh and the military has to counter it,"
he said, adding that during two year's of shaky negotiations both
the government and the military had been very patient.

"So many troops and civilians have died in vain. When will we
put a stop to this?" he added.

There are five Kostrad battalions stationed in restive Aceh.

In Banda Aceh, two men on a speeding motorcycle lobbed a
grenade into the tightly guarded city military headquarters
complex. The grenade exploded in an empty area and caused no
damage.

Meanwhile, police on Thursday found the body of Chief Sergeant
Syarifuddin from Indrapuri, who went missing after being ambushed
on Wednesday. Also killed in the incident was his commander,
Warrant Officer Ali Budiman. (edt/rms/tso/50)
View JSON | Print