{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1366272,
        "msgid": "yogyakarta-sultan-ready-to-face-lawsuit-1447893297",
        "date": "2003-04-22 00:00:00",
        "title": "Yogyakarta sultan ready to face lawsuit",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Yogyakarta sultan ready to face lawsuit Sri Wahyuni, The Jakarta Post, Yogykarta Sultan of Yogyakarta Hamengkubuwono X said on Monday he was ready to face a lawsuit charging him with illegally obtaining a plot of land and a building on it, arguing he had acted in the interests of the palace. Last week three descendants of Sultan Hamengkubuwono VII filed a complaint with the police, charging Sultan Hamengkubuwono X with illegal appropriation of 40,410 square meters of land and a building on Jl.",
        "content": "<p>Yogyakarta sultan ready to face lawsuit<\/p>\n<p>Sri Wahyuni, The Jakarta Post, Yogykarta<\/p>\n<p>Sultan of Yogyakarta Hamengkubuwono X said on Monday he was<br>\nready to face a lawsuit charging him with illegally obtaining a<br>\nplot of land and a building on it, arguing he had acted in the<br>\ninterests of the palace.<\/p>\n<p>Last week three descendants of Sultan Hamengkubuwono VII filed<br>\na complaint with the police, charging Sultan Hamengkubuwono X<br>\nwith illegal appropriation of 40,410 square meters of land and a<br>\nbuilding on Jl. Laksda Adisucipto.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;I have no problem if they want to go ahead with the lawsuit;<br>\nlet the court reveal the true legal status,&quot; said Sultan<br>\nHamengkubuwono X, who is also the governor of Yogyakarta.<\/p>\n<p>One of Hamengkubuwono VII&apos;s heirs who filed the complaint,<br>\nTriyanto Prasetowo, said last week that the land and the<br>\nbuilding, Pesanggrahan Ambarrukmo, had belonged to his great<br>\ngrandfather.<\/p>\n<p>The other two heirs were identified as Roosharwantoaji and<br>\nGoewindo. They, however, offered no proof of ownership of the<br>\nland and building.<\/p>\n<p>The heirs charged the sultan with deliberately changing the<br>\nownership of the properties by omitting the Roman numeral after<br>\nthe name &quot;Hamengkubuwono&quot;.<\/p>\n<p>This move, they said, had transferred ownership of the<br>\nproperties to the palace as an institution, from the sultan&apos;s<br>\nprivate ownership, which they could claim as his heirs.<\/p>\n<p>They argued that the properties were the personal belongings<br>\nof Hamengkubuwono VII. According to them, Pesanggrahan Ambarrukmo<br>\nwas the sultan&apos;s residence in 1921, after having retired from the<br>\npalace as king. The building is located outside the palace.<\/p>\n<p>But Sultan Hamengkubuwono X refuted the heirs&apos; argument. He<br>\nsaid the properties belonged to the palace as an institution and<br>\nhad to be treated as such.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;If it&apos;s true that they are personal belongings, then the<br>\nproperties should have been inherited by the heirs (of<br>\nHamengkubuwono VII) years ago and they would have since enjoyed<br>\nthis inheritance. But that did not happen.&quot;<\/p>\n<p>&quot;Even while the late Hamengkubuwono IX was in power, no one<br>\never filed such a complaint,&quot; the sultan said.<\/p>\n<p>He explained that because the palace was not a body with a<br>\nrecognizable legal basis, its properties were registered under<br>\nthe name Hamengkubuwono, without the Roman numeral.<\/p>\n<p>The sultan said that even he, as an individual, had no power<br>\nto sell the properties, but only to make use of them.<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/yogyakarta-sultan-ready-to-face-lawsuit-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}