{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1348610,
        "msgid": "tanjung-priok-rights-trial-to-go-ahead-1447893297",
        "date": "2003-10-14 00:00:00",
        "title": "Tanjung Priok rights trial to go ahead",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Tanjung Priok rights trial to go ahead Muninggar Sri Saraswati, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta The ad hoc human rights tribunal decided on Monday to proceed with the trial of military officers allegedly involved in the Tanjung Priok massacre in 1984, despite arguments from defense lawyers that the court had no legitimacy to hear the case.",
        "content": "<p>Tanjung Priok rights trial to go ahead<\/p>\n<p>Muninggar Sri Saraswati, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta<\/p>\n<p>The ad hoc human rights tribunal decided on Monday to proceed<br>\nwith the trial of military officers allegedly involved in the<br>\nTanjung Priok massacre in 1984, despite arguments from defense<br>\nlawyers that the court had no legitimacy to hear the case.<\/p>\n<p>Presiding judge Andi Samsan Nganro said the court was<br>\nauthorized to hear the case based on a presidential decree in<br>\n2001 on the establishment of the ad hoc human rights tribunal.<\/p>\n<p>The lawyers, representing Col. Sutrisno Mascung and other 10<br>\ndefendants, had earlier insisted that the decree was \"legally<br>\ndefective.\"<\/p>\n<p>Andi said that the decree was valid as the government had not<br>\nrevoked it. There had not been a motion from the public for<br>\njudicial review of the decree, either, Andi added.<\/p>\n<p>The panel of five judges also rejected the lawyers' argument<br>\nthat the indictment was inaccurate.<\/p>\n<p>The case is scheduled to resume on Monday next week to hear<br>\ntestimony from several witnesses.<\/p>\n<p>Sutrisno, was then a captain, led Platoon II of the Air<br>\nDefense Artillery Battalion based in North Jakarta. His<br>\nsubordinates, Chief Corp. Asrori, Chief Corp. Siswoyo, Sgt. Maj.<br>\nAbdul Halim, Second Lt. Zulfata, Sgt. Maj. Sumitro, Chief Sgt.<br>\nSofyan Hadi, Chief Corp. Prayogi, Chief Corp. Winarko, Chief<br>\nCorp. Idrus and Second Sgt. Muhson are being charged with crimes<br>\nagainst humanity.<\/p>\n<p>Under Human Rights Law No. 26\/2000, the soldiers face a<br>\nminimum of 10 years in prison and a maximum sentence of death if<br>\nfound guilty.<\/p>\n<p>Prosecutors said the defendants were involved in the shooting<br>\nat a crowd of demonstrators during a rally on Sept. 12, 1984,<br>\nwhich claimed at least 14 lives and injured 11 others.<\/p>\n<p>The National Commission on Human Rights put the number of<br>\nfatalities at 33.<\/p>\n<p>The Tanjung Priok bloodshed trial is the second human rights<br>\ntribunal after the trial of security officers and civilians<br>\ninvolved in East Timor atrocities, which drew public criticism,<br>\nas most of the defendants were acquitted.<\/p>\n<p>Many have also raised skepticism over the Tanjung Priok trial,<br>\nas high-ranking military officers in command at that time are<br>\nexempt from prosecution. These include former Jakarta military<br>\ncommander Gen. (ret) Try Sutrisno and former Armed Forces<br>\nCommander Gen. (ret) L.B. Moerdani.<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/tanjung-priok-rights-trial-to-go-ahead-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}