{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1252566,
        "msgid": "security-in-capital-heightened-on-fears-of-second-attack-1447893297",
        "date": "2002-10-23 00:00:00",
        "title": "Security in capital heightened on fears of second attack",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Security in capital heightened on fears of second attack Fabiola Desy Unidjaja and Damar Harsanto, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta Skyscrapers and other major buildings in the capital have increased their security measures following warnings from a number of countries, as well as the government, of a possible second terrorist attack hard on the heels of the deadly Bali bombing.",
        "content": "<p>Security in capital heightened on fears of second attack<\/p>\n<p>Fabiola Desy Unidjaja and Damar Harsanto, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta<\/p>\n<p>Skyscrapers and other major buildings in the capital have<br>\nincreased their security measures following warnings from a<br>\nnumber of countries, as well as the government, of a possible<br>\nsecond terrorist attack hard on the heels of the deadly Bali<br>\nbombing.<\/p>\n<p>Security checks were also tightened on Tuesday in shopping<br>\nmalls, hotels, offices and most public places, with security<br>\nofficers using metal detectors to inspect all incoming vehicles<br>\nand visitors.<\/p>\n<p>Plaza Senayan in South Jakarta, Taman Anggrek Mall in West<br>\nJakarta and Plaza Atrium Senen, for instance, imposed security<br>\nchecks on all incoming vehicles at their entrances.<\/p>\n<p>The situation was the same in high-rise buildings, especially<br>\nthose housing foreign institutions such as the Widjojo Center,<br>\nwhich hosts the British Council.<\/p>\n<p>Local media reported that after the Bali carnage, companies<br>\nthat sold metal detectors had been overwhelmed with orders as<br>\nmost buildings tried to equip their security departments with the<br>\ndevices.<\/p>\n<p>The increase in security measures was especially noticeable<br>\nfollowing warnings from Australia that Jakarta might be the next<br>\ntarget for terror attacks following the bombing in Bali that<br>\nkilled at least 190 people, mostly foreigners, and injured more<br>\nthan 300 others.<\/p>\n<p>Australia, and then Britain, even advised their citizens to<br>\navoid specific public places in the city such as the Kota area,<br>\nJl. Hayam Wuruk, Taman Anggrek, Pasar Baru and Pasar Senen.<\/p>\n<p>City Police detectives&apos; chief Sr. Comr. Andi Chaerudin,<br>\nhowever, played down the warnings, saying that the police had yet<br>\nto uncover any significant threat to security in the capital.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;Bomb hoaxes are abundant but our bomb squad has found nothing<br>\nsignificant like explosives or other things,&quot; said Andi.<\/p>\n<p>He also said that no specific locations, including the places<br>\nmentioned by the Australian and British governments, had received<br>\nspecial attention from the police.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;Building managements are responsible for the security in<br>\ntheir own buildings. The police will only back them up if<br>\nneeded,&quot; Andi said.<\/p>\n<p>Coordinating Minister for Political and Security Affairs<br>\nSusilo Bambang Yudhoyono, nevertheless, confirmed on Tuesday the<br>\npossibility of a second terror attack, but he did not say where<br>\nthe target might be.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;From intelligence information, there are indications that<br>\nthere will be a second attack in a different part of the<br>\ncountry,&quot; Susilo said.<\/p>\n<p>He noted that the police were on alert across the country.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;We have assigned our security forces to safeguard vital<br>\ninstallations such airports and other public facilities, and the<br>\npolice have deployed their personnel to increase security<br>\nmeasures,&quot; Susilo said.<\/p>\n<p>The predictions were made based on a possible backlash from<br>\nhardline Muslim groups in the country against foreigners after<br>\nJakarta launched a crackdown against these groups as part of its<br>\nreaction to the Bali bombing.<\/p>\n<p>After detaining hardline Islam Defenders&apos; Front (FPI) chairman<br>\nHabib Rizieq Shihab, the police moved on Sunday to detain aging<br>\nMuslim cleric Abu Bakar Ba&apos;asyir on charges of plotting the<br>\nassassination of President Megawati Soekarnoputri and involvement<br>\nin a series of bombings in recent years.<\/p>\n<p>The police&apos;s move, nevertheless, was challenged by Ba&apos;asyir&apos;s<br>\nsupporters who protested against his detention in a hospital in<br>\nSurakarta, Central Java, where Ba&apos;asyir is being treated.<\/p>\n<p>Singapore, Malaysia and the United States have described<br>\nBa&apos;asyir as the spiritual leader of Jemaah Islamiyah, which is<br>\nlikely to be labeled a terrorist group by the U.S.<\/p>\n<p>Ba&apos;asyir has denied all charges, and even claims that Jemaah<br>\nIslamiyah does not exist.<\/p>\n<p>National Police chief Gen. Da&apos;i Bachtiar said on Tuesday that<br>\npolice investigators were looking into a possible connection<br>\nbetween the Bali bombing and Jemaah Islamiyah.<\/p>\n<p>He also said that the police were trying to locate another<br>\nwanted Southeast Asian terrorist leader, an Indonesian citizen<br>\nnamed Riduan Isamuddin alias Hambali, who was also been sought by<br>\nMalaysia and Singapore.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;Hambali is the focus of the search,&quot; Da&apos;i remarked.<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/security-in-capital-heightened-on-fears-of-second-attack-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}