{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1080901,
        "msgid": "search-for-missing-belgians-continues-1447893297",
        "date": "2001-06-16 00:00:00",
        "title": "Search for missing Belgians continues",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Search for missing Belgians continues JAYAPURA, Irian Jaya (JP): One week after they were reported missing, there still remains no clue as to the whereabouts or fate of two missing Belgian filmmakers in the Irian Jaya hinterland. Irian Jaya Police spokesman Comr. Zulkifli A.R., told The Jakarta Post on Friday that police are continuing their search and have also formed a team to handle the case. The two Belgians -- identified as Johan Elia Theo van Dem Eynde, 47, and Philippe R.D.",
        "content": "<p>Search for missing Belgians continues<\/p>\n<p>JAYAPURA, Irian Jaya (JP): One week after they were reported<br>\nmissing, there still remains no clue as to the whereabouts or<br>\nfate of two missing Belgian filmmakers in the Irian Jaya<br>\nhinterland.<\/p>\n<p>Irian Jaya Police spokesman Comr. Zulkifli A.R., told The<br>\nJakarta Post on Friday that police are continuing their search<br>\nand have also formed a team to handle the case.<\/p>\n<p>The two Belgians -- identified as Johan Elia Theo van Dem<br>\nEynde, 47, and Philippe R.D. Simon, 49, went missing while<br>\nconducting research in Illaga district, Puncak Jaya regency.<\/p>\n<p>Zulkifli declined to confirm speculation that the two had been<br>\nkidnapped by separatist groups hiding in the remote Jayawijaya<br>\njungle.<\/p>\n<p>However he conceded that their disappearance might be the<br>\nresult of an abduction.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;They could have been taken hostage (by the separatist group)<br>\nor could just be lost in the forest, or they may have joined<br>\nother tourists and left Irian Jaya,&quot; Zulkifli remarked.<\/p>\n<p>Head of the police search team, Sr. Insp. Soma Kubun, who is<br>\nalso deputy chief of Jayawijaya police, said on Friday there had<br>\nbeen no new developments in the search.<\/p>\n<p>According to Soma, the two Belgians were last seen leaving<br>\nPaniai police station where they asked for permission to go to<br>\nPaluga village, some two or three days&apos; walk from Paniai<br>\ndistrict.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;They were offered a guide and security guards, but they<br>\nturned down the offer, saying they had been there before and<br>\nthere was nothing to worry about,&quot; Soma said.<\/p>\n<p>Sources in Irian Jaya Police said a letter signed by a man<br>\nnamed Peni Murif, the self-proclaimed leader of a separatist<br>\ngroup, had been received at police headquarters here, taking<br>\nresponsibility for kidnapping the two Belgians.<\/p>\n<p>The letter demanded authorities allow the hoisting of the<br>\nbanned separatist Morning Star flag atop Jayawijaya mountain.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;If the demand is not met, the hostages will be shot dead,&quot;<br>\nthe source said, quoting the letter.<\/p>\n<p>No deadline had been given.<\/p>\n<p>But the source claimed that police doubted the validity of the<br>\nletter.<\/p>\n<p>In Brussels a spokesman for the Belgian foreign ministry, Koen<br>\nVervaeke, was quoted by AFP as saying that Indonesian authorities<br>\nhad confirmed that the Free Papua Movement rebels kidnapped the<br>\ntwo. (34\/emf)<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/search-for-missing-belgians-continues-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}