{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1442351,
        "msgid": "rights-group-accuses-tni-of-aceh-abuses-1447893297",
        "date": "1999-08-05 00:00:00",
        "title": "Rights group accuses TNI of Aceh abuses",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Rights group accuses TNI of Aceh abuses JAKARTA (JP): Amnesty International on Wednesday accused the Indonesian Military (TNI) of rampant violence in Aceh and said that deploying more troops in the province would only worsen the situation. The London-based group said \"the armed opposition also have a responsibility to halt human rights abuses and to immediately instruct GAM (Free Aceh movement) members to stop unlawful killings of soldiers and civilians\".",
        "content": "<p>Rights group accuses TNI of Aceh abuses<\/p>\n<p>JAKARTA (JP): Amnesty International on Wednesday accused the<br>\nIndonesian Military (TNI) of rampant violence in Aceh and said<br>\nthat deploying more troops in the province would only worsen the<br>\nsituation.<\/p>\n<p>The London-based group said &quot;the armed opposition also have a<br>\nresponsibility to halt human rights abuses and to immediately<br>\ninstruct GAM (Free Aceh movement) members to stop unlawful<br>\nkillings of soldiers and civilians&quot;.<\/p>\n<p>Amnesty&apos;s strongest criticism however, was directed at the<br>\nmilitary. It said that at least 40 -- possibly as many as 70 --<br>\npeople were reportedly killed by security forces during counter-<br>\ninsurgency operations in Beutong village, West Aceh, on July 23.<\/p>\n<p>The military said the victims were killed in a gunfight, but<br>\nwitnesses said they were massacred.<\/p>\n<p>Jakarta has sent about 1,200 reinforcement troops to Aceh<br>\nafter 41 civilian protesters were killed in North Aceh in May.<br>\nSome 7,000 more troops will be dispatched to crush the ongoing<br>\nrebel movement.<\/p>\n<p>Amnesty however said: &quot;in the current climate of impunity,<br>\nincreasing troop numbers, rather than attempting to address the<br>\nproblems in Aceh, will only worsen Aceh&apos;s already critical human<br>\nrights situation.&quot;<\/p>\n<p>Amnesty said it had warned in January that human rights<br>\nviolations could escalate if troops were redeployed to Aceh.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;Since then dozens of people have been unlawfully killed,<br>\nincluding by troops sent to the province in recent months to<br>\nresolve the violence,&quot; Amnesty said.<\/p>\n<p>Violence has been on the rise in the province, claiming more<br>\nthan 200 lives, including troops and police. The violence has<br>\nalso displaced nearly 100,000 people, who are now sheltering in<br>\nmosques and school buildings.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;The recent escalation in human rights violations in Aceh,<br>\nincluding dozens of extrajudicial executions, disappearances and<br>\narbitrary arrests flies in the face of the government&apos;s<br>\ncommitments to address human rights problems in Indonesia,&quot;<br>\nAmnesty said.<\/p>\n<p>It also said: &quot;President B.J. Habibie&apos;s government has so far<br>\nfailed to bring to justice members of security forces who<br>\ntortured, disappeared or unlawfully killed thousands of Acehnese<br>\nduring counter-insurgency operations in Aceh from 1989 to 1998.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;The government&apos;s failure to address human rights violations<br>\nin the past sends a message to the security forces that they can<br>\ncontinue to kill ... without being held to account.&quot;<\/p>\n<p>From Banda Aceh Teuku Umar military commander Col. Syarifuddin<br>\nTippe, in response to Amnesty International&apos;s allegations, said<br>\nWednesday, &quot;it is impossible that TNI could be so cruel.&quot;<\/p>\n<p>&quot;What do you think we are, the enemy of the state?&quot;<\/p>\n<p>Regarding the incident in West Aceh, he reiterated the<br>\noriginal report of the military that 31 had died despite findings<br>\nof new bodies.<\/p>\n<p>There was a possibility that the additional victims were<br>\nkilled by the Free Aceh Movement members themselves, Syarifuddin<br>\nsaid, citing earlier incidents in which civilians were found dead<br>\nwith severe wounds or were chopped up.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;The reason why people fear the GAM more than the military is<br>\nthat they are more sadistic,&quot; he said.<\/p>\n<p>On progress of TNI&apos;s efforts regarding the Aceh problem,<br>\nincluding the assignment of high ranking officers to the<br>\nprovince, he said he had no knowledge of results of the<br>\nassignment of former Jakarta military commander Sjafrie<br>\nSjamsuddin in Aceh.<\/p>\n<p>The military has said Sjafrie, similar to Lt.Gen. Fachrul<br>\nRazi, who is now the secretary general to the Ministry of Defense<br>\nand Security, had been assigned to Aceh &quot;to seek input&quot; to<br>\nsolutions to the Aceh problem. A spokesman had then denied rumors<br>\nthat Sjafrie had anything to do with recent atrocities in Aceh.<br>\n(byg\/anr)<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/rights-group-accuses-tni-of-aceh-abuses-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}