{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1297555,
        "msgid": "ri-cracks-down-on-militia-but-danger-remains-un-says-1447893297",
        "date": "2000-10-24 00:00:00",
        "title": "RI cracks down on militia, but danger remains, UN says",
        "author": null,
        "source": "AFP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "RI cracks down on militia, but danger remains, UN says SYDNEY, Australia (AFP): Squads of up to 30 militia fighters have slipped across the border into East Timor to conduct long- range patrols, threatening the stability of the territory, a senior UN official warned on Monday.",
        "content": "<p>RI cracks down on militia, but danger remains, UN says<\/p>\n<p>SYDNEY, Australia (AFP): Squads of up to 30 militia fighters<br>\nhave slipped across the border into East Timor to conduct long-<br>\nrange patrols, threatening the stability of the territory, a<br>\nsenior UN official warned on Monday.<\/p>\n<p>Militiamen based in Indonesian West Timor appeared to be under<br>\nrenewed pressure from Jakarta to disarm but still posed a<br>\n\"hypothetical\" threat to the fledgling state, UN special<br>\nrepresentative in East Timor, Sergio Vieira de Mello, told<br>\nreporters here.<\/p>\n<p>The absence of humanitarian agencies from the border areas of<br>\nWest Timor has undermined the UN's ability to gauge the<br>\neffectiveness of Jakarta's attempts to reign in its former<br>\nallies, said de Mello, who also heads the United Nations<br>\nTransitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET).<\/p>\n<p>He said policing the border against militia infiltration from<br>\nWest Timor remained a problem. \"We need more help,\" de Mello<br>\nsaid.<\/p>\n<p>\"We have indications the TNI (Indonesian army) and police are<br>\nactively looking for weapons. \"How successful they are is<br>\nimpossible for me to say.\"<\/p>\n<p>De Mello stressed that the militias were well-armed and had<br>\nchanged tactics in July, abandoning hit-and-run cross-border<br>\nraids in favor of long-range patrols inside East Timor.<\/p>\n<p>He said militiamen had infiltrated East Timor during the past<br>\ntwo-and-a-half months and probed as far as Ainaro in the<br>\nterritory's UN-designated sector central. \"So we must be ready<br>\nfor the hypothesis of new infiltration to take place in the<br>\ncoming weeks.\"<\/p>\n<p>\"When I say disarming the militias, I am not referring to<br>\nshotguns,\" he said.<\/p>\n<p>He said groups of between five and 30 men had crossed the<br>\nborder recently in rugged terrain armed with \"combat weapons\"<br>\nsuch as the Chinese-made SKS automatic rifle, M16s and rocket-<br>\npropelled grenades.<\/p>\n<p>De Mello's schedule in Australia includes meetings with<br>\nAustralian Prime Minister John Howard and other government<br>\nministers as well as defense force chief Admiral Chris Barrie.<\/p>\n<p>The renegotiation of the Timor Gap treaty, which governs vast<br>\nundersea oil and gas reserves lying between Australia's north and<br>\nthe fledgling state, will also be on the agenda.<\/p>\n<p>\"The resources of the Timor Sea are vital to the future of<br>\nEast Timor,\" de Mello said.<\/p>\n<p>After more than three-quarters of East Timor's population<br>\nvoted in favor of independence from Indonesia in last year's<br>\nAugust 30 referendum, pro-Jakarta militias embarked upon a<br>\nscorched earth rampage.<\/p>\n<p>Up to 120,000 refugees remain in camps in West Timor under the<br>\nfist of militiamen armed by renegade sections of the Indonesian<br>\nmilitary.<\/p>\n<p>\"Their situation is likely to be appalling right now,\" de<br>\nMello said.<\/p>\n<p>An attack on a UN office in Atambua in West Timor on Sept. 6,<br>\nduring which three aid workers were murdered, forced the<br>\nevacuation of aid agency staff, effectively denying the UN a<br>\nvital source of intelligence.<\/p>\n<p>In other developments, a 36-member National Council will be<br>\nsworn in during a ceremony in East Timor's capital, Dili, late<br>\nMonday.<\/p>\n<p>The council, drawn exclusively from the ranks of East<br>\nTimorese, will become the forerunner to an independent parliament<br>\nin East Timor.<\/p>\n<p>\"There will be elections next year. There isn't a date yet,<br>\nbut it isn't far away,\" UN spokesman Fred Eckhard said late last<br>\nweek.<\/p>\n<p>Indonesia invaded East Timor in 1975 after the departure of<br>\ncolonial rulers Portugal, annexing the territory a year later in<br>\na move never recognized by the UN.<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/ri-cracks-down-on-militia-but-danger-remains-un-says-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}