{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1356272,
        "msgid": "more-travel-agents-may-close-as-business-gets-worse-1447893297",
        "date": "2003-05-28 00:00:00",
        "title": "More travel agents may close as business gets worse",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "More travel agents may close as business gets worse Sudibyo M. Wiradji, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta The outbreak of deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) has dealt a major blow to the country's tourism industry. This article and the other two stories in this special page highlight the impact of the flu-like ailment on the industry.",
        "content": "<p>More travel agents may close as business gets worse<\/p>\n<p>Sudibyo M. Wiradji, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta<\/p>\n<p>The outbreak of deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)<br>\nhas dealt a major blow to the country's tourism industry. This<br>\narticle and the other two stories in this special page highlight<br>\nthe impact of the flu-like ailment on the industry.<\/p>\n<p>Worldwide travel fears resulting from the outbreak of Severe<br>\nAcute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) has brought the country's<br>\ntravel industry almost to a standstill.<\/p>\n<p>Canceled visits by foreign visitors and flight cuts by major<br>\nforeign airlines have severely affected tourist activities,<br>\nputting the already travel industry in its worst ever<br>\npredicament.<\/p>\n<p>\"A number of travel agents have been forced to close their<br>\noffices or lay off employees. Some have offered employees unpaid<br>\nleave or reduced work hours to enable them to get through this<br>\ntough time,\" the chairperson of the Association of Indonesian<br>\nTour and Travel Agencies (ASITA), Meity Robot, said.<\/p>\n<p>She warned that if the market did not show any improvement<br>\nwithin the next two months, most travel agencies would be forced<br>\nto close their doors.<\/p>\n<p>The number of foreign tourist arrivals peaked at 5.18 million<br>\nin 1997 but dropped to 4.60 million in 1998 and 4.72 million in<br>\n1999, due to the combination of the economic crisis and<br>\nuncertainty in security following the change in the country's<br>\nleadership.<\/p>\n<p>Tourism began to pick up in 2000, with foreign tourist<br>\narrivals rising to 5.06 million, but the Sept. 11, 2001,<br>\nterrorist attacks halted the positive trend, with a relatively<br>\nslight increase of 5.15 million foreign visitors recorded during<br>\nthe year. Foreign tourist arrivals plunged to 4.3 million in 2002<br>\ndue to the shocking images of the Bali bombing and foreign media<br>\nreports about Indonesia as a haven for international terrorist<br>\ngroups.<\/p>\n<p>The industry saw signs of recovery in January and February of<br>\nthis year after the adverse effects of the Bali bombing started<br>\nto wear off in people's minds.<\/p>\n<p>But the recent Iraq war and the outbreak of the deadly flu-<br>\nlike SARS immediately reversed that encouraging trend. The latest<br>\ntravel woes have brought the tourist industry to its lowest level<br>\nin years.<\/p>\n<p>Executives of companies involved in tourism-related businesses<br>\nhave strongly criticized the government for not doing enough to<br>\nsupport the ailing industry.<\/p>\n<p>Instead of lending its support to the devastated travel<br>\nindustry, the government issued early last month a presidential<br>\ndecree to revoke the visa-free facility given to nationals of 48<br>\ncountries since 1983. A government official said that a visitor<br>\ncould be charged between US$40 and $45 for a visa-on-arrival.<\/p>\n<p>Critics have called the move to revoke the visa-free facility<br>\n\"ridiculous\", especially at a time when tourism was in serious<br>\ntrouble.<\/p>\n<p>\"Charging (tourists) for the visa will further worsen the<br>\nalready battered tourist industry,\" said travel portal Indo.com<br>\nCEO Eka Ginting.<\/p>\n<p>Travel company Panorama president director Satriyanto<br>\nTirtawisata shared Eka's view, saying that the government's<br>\ndecision to revoke the visa-free facility had dealt another<br>\nheavy blow to the nation's shattered tourist industry.<\/p>\n<p>\"The policy is not only unnecessary but also<br>\ncounterproductive. It complicates things right in the midst of<br>\nthe survival game for most tourist industry players,\" he said.<\/p>\n<p>Like Satriyanto, Ika Nazaruddin, the public relations manager<br>\nof Pacto travel company, also supported the appeal to cancel the<br>\ngovernment's policy to remove the visa-free facility.<\/p>\n<p>ASITA which groups about 3,000 tour and travel agents, has<br>\nsuggested the government to issue a stimulus package to keep<br>\ntravel companies afloat instead of removing the visa-free<br>\nfacility.<\/p>\n<p>ASITA's chairperson Meity said the stimulus package could<br>\ninclude low-interest rate loans, which were needed to prevent<br>\ncompanies reliant on the tourist trade from closing.<\/p>\n<p>Besides proposing an extension of subsidized loans, ASITA also<br>\nappealed to the government to abolish a value-added tax imposed<br>\non tour operators.<\/p>\n<p>\"Abolishing the value-added tax, income tax and departure tax<br>\ncould act as an incentive for encouraging people to start<br>\ntraveling, and would in turn salvage the ailing tourist<br>\nindustry,\" Panorama's Satrijanto said.<\/p>\n<p>Meanwhile Pacto's Ika Nazaruddin said that compared to the<br>\nIraq war, SARS had had an even worse effect on our business<br>\nbecause the majority of tourists come from Europe.<\/p>\n<p>Pacto has seen a 70 percent drop in sales due to the Bali<br>\nbombing, the Iraq war and fears of SARS. Before the Bali tragedy,<br>\nPacto used to annually handle travel arrangements for 50,000<br>\nforeign visitors, who traveled throughout the archipelago. \"They<br>\nwere mostly from European countries, such as the Netherlands,<br>\nGermany and France,\" she said.<\/p>\n<p>Similarly, Indo.com, the country's largest travel portal, saw<br>\na 75 percent drop in international bookings. \"We had begun to<br>\nrecover in January and were back up to almost half the normal<br>\nnumbers. But because of the war and SARS, the recovery process<br>\nground to a halt in March,\" said Eka Ginting of Indo.com.<\/p>\n<p>Vaya Tour also saw a significant drop in its sales of inbound<br>\nservices, especially after the outbreak of SARS. It suffered a 70<br>\npercent drop in outbound tour sales.<\/p>\n<p>The Indonesian Hotel and Restaurant Association (PHRI) said<br>\nthat since the outbreak of SARS, the country's hotel occupancy<br>\nrate has dropped significantly, with Batam, Medan and Bali<br>\nhardest hit.<\/p>\n<p>Currently, the country's average hotel occupancy rate is<br>\naround 30 percent.<\/p>\n<p>The SARS has caused hotel occupancy rate in Batam, a favorite<br>\ndestination for Singaporeans, to drop significantly to 20 percent<br>\nbecause many travelers from Singapore have canceled their visits.<\/p>\n<p>The association also said that the average hotel occupancy<br>\nrate in Bali was around 25 percent.  \"With 25 percent occupancy<br>\nrate, a hotel is facing serious financial problem,\" said PHRI's<br>\nExecutive Director Carla Parengkuan.<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/more-travel-agents-may-close-as-business-gets-worse-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}