{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1104430,
        "msgid": "indonesia-open-offers-higher-prize-money-1447893297",
        "date": "2001-05-11 00:00:00",
        "title": "Indonesia Open offers higher prize money",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Indonesia Open offers higher prize money JAKARTA (JP): Organizers of the Sanyo Indonesia Open will increase prize money for the five-star tournament to US$170,000 to attract more world-class foreign players, particularly from China, to compete at the event in July.",
        "content": "<p>Indonesia Open offers higher prize money<\/p>\n<p>JAKARTA (JP): Organizers of the Sanyo Indonesia Open will<br>\nincrease prize money for the five-star tournament to US$170,000<br>\nto attract more world-class foreign players, particularly from<br>\nChina, to compete at the event in July.<\/p>\n<p>General manager of PT Sanjaya Sakti, distributor of Sanyo,<br>\nNancy Felicia expressed hope that the effort could encourage many<br>\ncountries to compete in the July 25 to July 29 tournament at the<br>\nBung Karno Indoor Stadium in Senayan, Central Jakarta.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;As the main sponsor, we really expect many world-class<br>\nshuttlers to compete at the annual event. One of the efforts to<br>\nencourage them to come is by raising the prize money,&quot; she<br>\nannounced at a media conference on Thursday.<\/p>\n<p>Last year&apos;s event offered $150,000.<\/p>\n<p>The Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) secretary-<br>\ngeneral Leo Chandra Wiranata said that, besides increasing the<br>\nprize money, PBSI would also hold a campaign during the Sudirman<br>\nCup and World Championships in Seville, Spain, from May 28 to<br>\nJune 10 to explore possible incentives to encourage more<br>\nwidespread participation at the tournament.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;We will ask China to send its best shuttlers to the<br>\ntournament. We hope the increase in prize money and the campaign<br>\nwill enable them to come here. We&apos;ll also explain that the<br>\npolitical situation here is not that bad.&quot;<\/p>\n<p>China has missed the Indonesia Open since 1997. Visa problems<br>\npresented the main obstacle but in 1998 and 1999 the country<br>\ncited political tension and the lack of security as the main<br>\nreasons for skipping the event. Last year, it only sent its<br>\nsecond-layer players.<\/p>\n<p>IMG Managing Director James White, the event organizers, said<br>\nthat the campaign would offer the world&apos;s top players from eight<br>\ncountries facilities such as two free hotel rooms including<br>\nbreakfast at the Jakarta Hilton International Hotel,<br>\ntransportation, entertainment and city tour programs.<\/p>\n<p>However, Leo turned down the possibility of asking the<br>\nInternational Badminton Federation (IBF) to take action over<br>\nChina&apos;s absence.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;There&apos;s no way we can ask the IBF to force China to compete<br>\nat the Indonesia Open. What we can do is offer more substantial<br>\nprize money. If they still don&apos;t want to come, there&apos;s nothing<br>\nelse we can do.&quot;<\/p>\n<p>Meanwhile, defending champion Candra Wijaya and Tony Gunawan,<br>\nwho are now playing with different partners, declared their<br>\ncommitment to retain the men&apos;s doubles title.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;We are committed to retaining the men&apos;s doubles title and we<br>\ndon&apos;t care who will take the title. It could be myself and Halim<br>\nHeryanto, Candra and Sigit Budiarto or Flandy Limpele and Eng<br>\nHian,&quot; Tony said.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;For me personally, the Indonesia Open will be a warm-up event<br>\nfor our participation at the World Grand Prix Finals in Brunei<br>\nDarussalam later this year,&quot; Candra said.<\/p>\n<p>Candra and Tony won last year&apos;s title after beating<br>\ncompatriots Flandy and Eng Hian.<\/p>\n<p>World number two Taufik Hidayat, who has been under the<br>\nspotlight due to his critics to PBSI, is also expected to retain<br>\nhis title and also create a hat trick.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;PBSI really expect Taufik to compete at the event. He is one<br>\nof our assets needed to extend our domination of the event in the<br>\nfuture.&quot;<\/p>\n<p>Taufik won the 1999 event after ousting senior Budi Santoso<br>\nand the 2000 event after defeating Ong Ewe Hock of Malaysia.<br>\n(yan)<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/indonesia-open-offers-higher-prize-money-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}