{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1330799,
        "msgid": "haj-problems-show-governments-incompetence-1447893297",
        "date": "2003-12-23 00:00:00",
        "title": "Haj problems show government's incompetence",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Haj problems show government's incompetence Kurniawan Hari, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta The government's failure to keep its promise to allow almost 30,000 Indonesians to perform the haj pilgrimage in Mecca simply shows the government's lack of professionalism in its management of the pilgrimage, a haj watchdog has said. Zaim Ukhrowi, director of Maslahat Haji, a watchdog organization, called for revision of Law No.",
        "content": "<p>Haj problems show government&apos;s incompetence<\/p>\n<p>Kurniawan Hari, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta<\/p>\n<p>The government&apos;s failure to keep its promise to allow almost<br>\n30,000 Indonesians to perform the haj pilgrimage in Mecca simply<br>\nshows the government&apos;s lack of professionalism in its management<br>\nof the pilgrimage, a haj watchdog has said.<\/p>\n<p>Zaim Ukhrowi, director of Maslahat Haji, a watchdog<br>\norganization, called for revision of Law No. 17\/1999 on haj<br>\naffairs, which permits the government the opportunity to enter<br>\nthe business of haj transportation and accommodation.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;The law allows the government to be both referee and player<br>\nin the profitable business at the same time. There will always be<br>\npotential for a conflict of interest,&quot; he told The Jakarta Post<br>\non Monday.<\/p>\n<p>Zaim was commenting on the postponement of travel to Mecca for<br>\nthe haj for almost 30,000 Indonesian Muslims.<\/p>\n<p>Indonesia has received a quota of 205,000 seats for haj<br>\npilgrims this year. Minister of Religious Affairs Said Agil<br>\nHussein Al Munawar had requested the Saudi Arabian government<br>\nallocate some 30,000 additional seats.<\/p>\n<p>Although the Saudi Arabian government had not yet given its<br>\napproval, the minister announced the availability of an<br>\nadditional 30,000 seats.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;Without a revision of the law and efforts to improve<br>\nprofessionalism, there will always be problems in haj<br>\nmanagement,&quot; Zaim said.<\/p>\n<p>Separately, two nongovernmental organizations, Consumer Watch<br>\nand Monopoly Watch, plan to file a class action against the<br>\nreligious affairs ministry over the problem.<\/p>\n<p>The organizations have also questioned the possibility of the<br>\ngovernment refunding the money of the disappointed 30,000 haj<br>\napplicants.<\/p>\n<p>Said has said the money will be returned if that is desired by<br>\nthe people concerned.<\/p>\n<p>Heri Akhmadi, a legislator in charge of supervising the haj<br>\nmanagement, also called on the government to return the people&apos;s<br>\nmoney.<\/p>\n<p>He added that the minister should publicly apologize to them.<\/p>\n<p>Meanwhile, House of Representatives Speaker Akbar Tandjung<br>\nalso regretted that the minister had rushed to announce the<br>\nadditional quota of 30,000 prior to receiving confirmation from<br>\nthe Saudi Arabian government.<\/p>\n<p>The 2001 Indonesian haj totaled 192,000 people. The Saudi<br>\nArabian government pledged to grant an additional 13,000 places<br>\nwithout the need for a written agreement. Later, the Saudi<br>\nArabian government kept to its promise and gave 13,000 places in<br>\nadditional quota.<\/p>\n<p>The quota for last year was 205,000 and the Saudis again<br>\npromised an additional quota of up to 8,000. The number of haj<br>\npilgrims then totaled 213,000 people.<\/p>\n<p>Zaim reminded that the business relating to transportation and<br>\naccommodation for Indonesian haj pilgrims was dominated by the<br>\ngovernment.<\/p>\n<p>Of the 205,000 would-be hajis, 95 percent were handled by the<br>\ngovernment, he said.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;About 200 private companies deal with the remaining five<br>\npercent of haj pilgrims, or 12,000 people -- deluxe services,<br>\nknown as ONH Plus,&quot; he added.<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/haj-problems-show-governments-incompetence-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}