{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1030318,
        "msgid": "disarm-christian-vigilantes-fidel-ramos-1447893297",
        "date": "1996-09-11 00:00:00",
        "title": "Disarm Christian vigilantes: Fidel Ramos",
        "author": null,
        "source": "REUTERS",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Disarm Christian vigilantes: Fidel Ramos MANILA (Agencies): President Fidel Ramos yesterday ordered the armed forces and police to disarm Christian vigilantes in the southern Philippines who have vowed to fight a peace deal between Manila and Moro rebels. Ramos said in a directive that \"more forceful measures\" must be applied if the group resisted government attempts to persuade them to give up their weapons, a Presidential Palace statement said.",
        "content": "<p>Disarm Christian vigilantes: Fidel Ramos<\/p>\n<p>MANILA (Agencies): President Fidel Ramos yesterday ordered the<br>\narmed forces and police to disarm Christian vigilantes in the<br>\nsouthern Philippines who have vowed to fight a peace deal between<br>\nManila and Moro rebels.<\/p>\n<p>Ramos said in a directive that \"more forceful measures\" must<br>\nbe applied if the group resisted government attempts to persuade<br>\nthem to give up their weapons, a Presidential Palace statement<br>\nsaid.<\/p>\n<p>\"Remove the threat, preserve peace and order,\" Ramos said in a<br>\nhandwritten note to the military and the police.<\/p>\n<p>Ramos's order was the first official admission that the group,<br>\nwhich the military earlier dismissed as an insignificant force,<br>\nposed a possible security problem for the government.<\/p>\n<p>About 35 vigilantes showed reporters an array of weaponry,<br>\nranging from assault rifles to machine guns and grenade<br>\nlaunchers, during a clandestine interview outside Zamboanga city<br>\nin the southern Mindanao region last week.<\/p>\n<p>Local officials said the group, which calls itself the<br>\nMindanao Christian Unified Command, had an armed following of<br>\nabout 3,000 men.<\/p>\n<p>Newspaper reports, quoting some of the group's \"commanders,\"<br>\nsaid they numbered about 10,000 and included former soldiers and<br>\nex-policemen.<\/p>\n<p>An army spokesman earlier downplayed reports about the group,<br>\nsaying the military could easily neutralize them.<\/p>\n<p>Mindanao Christians have fiercely opposed the peace accord<br>\nbetween the government and the Moro National Liberation Front<br>\n(MNLF), and have accused Manila of a sell-out.<\/p>\n<p>The deal, signed in Manila last week, calls for the<br>\nestablishment of an administrative council to be led by MNLF<br>\nchief Nur Misuari to supervise development in 14 southern<br>\nprovinces, most of them dominated by Christians.<\/p>\n<p>The council is to be the precursor to a regional autonomous<br>\ngovernment to be composed of the 14 provinces that would vote in<br>\na plebiscite to join it.<\/p>\n<p>Although the country's five million Moslem minority regard the<br>\narea as their ancestral homeland, they are outnumbered 3-to-1 in<br>\nthe area by Christian settlers.<\/p>\n<p>Part of the peace deal calls for Misuari to head a semi-<br>\nautonomous region comprising four Moslem provinces.<\/p>\n<p>Yesterday, Misuari, a former university professor, won most of<br>\nthe votes so far counted in uncontested elections for the<br>\nregional governor.<\/p>\n<p>Misuari had received 121,492 votes, or 83 percent, with 21<br>\npercent cent of the ballots tallied, said the National Movement<br>\nfor Free Elections (NAMFREL).<\/p>\n<p>The votes were cast in the four-province Autonomous Region for<br>\nMoslem Mindanao (ARMM) which held elections on Monday.<\/p>\n<p>The elections also marked the Philippines' first attempt at<br>\ncomputerized polls but \"kinks in the system\" slowed down the<br>\ncounting ballots, election officials said yesterday.<\/p>\n<p>Commissioner Regalado Maambong of the Commission on Elections<br>\n(Comelec) said in a radio interview from the southern city of<br>\nCotabato that he did not think it could count 150 ballots per<br>\nminute as earlier thought.<\/p>\n<p>\"As of last night, the machine was counting 100 ballots per<br>\nminute,\" he said, adding \"there are some kinks in the system that<br>\nwe are trying to solve.\"<\/p>\n<p>However, he said the system was faster than manual tally, of<br>\n30 ballots each hour.<\/p>\n<p>Maambong expressed concern that humidity from heavy rain that<br>\nhad been falling in the south and heat from the lights of<br>\ntelevision crews filming the automated system would affect the<br>\nmachines.<\/p>\n<p>\"Our impression is the people like the new voting system very<br>\nmuch,\" Maambong said.<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/disarm-christian-vigilantes-fidel-ramos-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}