{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1131108,
        "msgid": "alwi-shihab-faction-told-to-cancel-congress-1447893297",
        "date": "2005-09-28 00:00:00",
        "title": "Alwi Shihab faction told to cancel congress",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Alwi Shihab faction told to cancel congress Eva C. Komandjaja and Indra Harsaputra, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta\/Surabaya The National Police have decided not to allow the chief welfare minister to organize a congress for his camp of the conflict- ridden National Awakening Party (PKB) in Surabaya, East Java, early next month. National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Soenarko said on Tuesday that his office would not issue a permit for the two-day national congress scheduled to begin on Oct.",
        "content": "<p>Alwi Shihab faction told to cancel congress<\/p>\n<p>Eva C. Komandjaja and Indra Harsaputra, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta\/Surabaya<\/p>\n<p>The National Police have decided not to allow the chief welfare<br>\nminister to organize a congress for his camp of the conflict-<br>\nridden National Awakening Party (PKB) in Surabaya, East Java,<br>\nearly next month.<\/p>\n<p>National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Soenarko said on Tuesday<br>\nthat his office would not issue a permit for the two-day national<br>\ncongress scheduled to begin on Oct. 1, arguing that the<br>\ngovernment does not recognize Alwi as the legitimate PKB leader.<\/p>\n<p>\"We refer to a decree issued by the Minister of Justice and<br>\nHuman Rights on the composition of PKB central board members,<br>\nwhich states that Muhaimin Iskandar is the party leader,\" he<br>\nsaid.<\/p>\n<p>The PKB has split into two factions -- one led by Alwi with<br>\nState Minister for the Development of Disadvantaged Regions<br>\nSaefullah Yusuf as secretary-general, and another camp led by<br>\nMuhaimin, a deputy House of Representatives speaker.<\/p>\n<p>Soenarko said the decision to ban the meeting was taken after<br>\nan internal meeting between security affairs division head at the<br>\nNational Police headquarters Comr. Gen. Ismerda Lebang and East<br>\nJava Police chief Insp. Gen. Edi Sunarno.<\/p>\n<p>\"Should they (the Alwi-led PKB faction) insist on holding the<br>\ncongress, we will persuade them not to go ahead,\" Soenarko said,<br>\nwho refrained from detailing how police would actually disperse<br>\nthem if they pressed ahead with the meeting.<\/p>\n<p>However, congress organizing committee head Choirul Anam has<br>\nclaimed that his side had already obtained a permit to hold the<br>\nmeeting as scheduled at the Sukolilo haj dormitory in Surabaya.<\/p>\n<p>Speaking to The Jakarta Post in Surabaya earlier on Tuesday,<br>\nAnam said the committee had sent a letter to the National Police<br>\nheadquarters, East Java Police headquarters, East Surabaya Police<br>\nprecinct and Sukolilo Police sub-precinct, notifying them of the<br>\nplanned congress.<\/p>\n<p>A number of senior PKB clerics, including Abdullah Faqih from<br>\nthe Langitan Islamic boarding school in Tuban and Idris Marzuki<br>\nfrom the Lirboyo Islamic boarding school in Kediri, have approved<br>\nthe meeting and would be among those in attendance, Anam added.<\/p>\n<p>The Alwi camp has trained some 1,000 civilian guards to ensure<br>\nsecurity during the event.<\/p>\n<p>Meanwhile, the PKB's Muhaimin faction threatened to mobilize<br>\naround 1,500 supporters to foil the congress by the rival camp.<\/p>\n<p>\"If we find Alwi's supporters using PKB paraphernalia during<br>\nthe event, we will force them to remove it,\" said Reylis Sumitra,<br>\na local deputy leader of PKB's youth movement.<\/p>\n<p>He said Muhaimin's supporters, from Surabaya, Probolinggo and<br>\nPasuruan, had received martial arts training to support the<br>\nanti-Alwi campaign.<\/p>\n<p>Reylis had asked the East Java police to ban the congress because<br>\nit would violate the judgment handed down by the South Jakarta<br>\nCourt last August, which favored the Muhaimin camp.<\/p>\n<p>The court ruled that last year's dismissal of Alwi and<br>\nSaefullah as PKB chairman and secretary-general by the Muhaimin<br>\nfaction was legitimate.<\/p>\n<p>Both Alwi and Saefullah resisted the dismissals but lost in<br>\nthe court battle over the case. They are appealing the decision<br>\nto the Supreme Court, while continuing their PKB political<br>\nactivities.<\/p>\n<p>Former president Abdurrahman \"Gus Dur\" Wahid, who had made<br>\nAlwi his foreign minister during his 1999-2001 rule, is backing<br>\nthe Muhaimin faction, spurning the current chief welfare<br>\nminister.<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/alwi-shihab-faction-told-to-cancel-congress-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}