{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1228243,
        "msgid": "akbar-rebuffs-demands-to-quit-house-post-1447893297",
        "date": "2002-09-19 00:00:00",
        "title": "Akbar rebuffs demands to quit House post",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "Akbar rebuffs demands to quit House post Ainur R. Sophiaan and Kurniawan Hari, The Jakarta Post, Surabaya\/Jakarta Convicted House Speaker Akbar Tandjung seems to have grown more confident after blocking a move to unseat him in the legislature, declaring that the calls from his opponents and the public for him to resign were \"irrelevant\".",
        "content": "<p>Akbar rebuffs demands to quit House post<\/p>\n<p>Ainur R. Sophiaan and Kurniawan Hari, The Jakarta Post, Surabaya\/Jakarta<\/p>\n<p>Convicted House Speaker Akbar Tandjung seems to have grown more<br>\nconfident after blocking a move to unseat him in the legislature,<br>\ndeclaring that the calls from his opponents and the public for<br>\nhim to resign were &quot;irrelevant&quot;.<\/p>\n<p>Akbar said the demands for his exit from the House&apos;s top post<br>\nlacked good grounds as the legal process in which he was involved<br>\ndid not prevent him from performing his duties.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;There is no reason for me to step aside temporarily as I<br>\nthere is no requirment for me to leave the House as a result of<br>\nthis legal process,&quot; Akbar said while attending the funeral of a<br>\nsenior Golkar leader in East Java on Wednesday.<\/p>\n<p>Akbar was convicted of corruption and sentenced to three years<br>\nimprisonment for his role as state secretary\/minister in the<br>\nmisuse of Rp 40 billion belonging to the State Logistics Agency<br>\n(Bulog).<\/p>\n<p>During his trial, Akbar claimed to have spent the money on a<br>\nfood-for-the-poor program. Later, after Akbar found himself in<br>\nhot water, all of the money was suddenly repaid to the state.<\/p>\n<p>Akbar has vehemently denied all wrongdoing and has appealed to<br>\nthe high court. He says he will go all the way to the Supreme<br>\nCourt, if necessary.<\/p>\n<p>Akbar, who chairs the country&apos;s second largest party, Golkar,<br>\nargued that similar situations had arose in other countries.<\/p>\n<p>He pointed to former U.S. President Bill Clinton and the<br>\nformer speaker of the U.S. Congress, both of whom were allegedly<br>\ninvolved in financial impropriety but failed to step down from<br>\noffice.<\/p>\n<p>&quot;There have been many cases in other countries where state<br>\nofficials have been involved in criminal prosecutions and where<br>\nthey were not forced to step aside,&quot; he claimed.<\/p>\n<p>The calls for Akbar to quit the House speakership have been<br>\nmounting following the verdict against him earlier this month.<br>\nRepresentatives of 72 legislators on Monday submitted a petition<br>\nof no-confidence in Akbar to deputy speaker Soetardjo<br>\nSoerjogoeritno.<\/p>\n<p>The legislators hoped their petition would be brought up<br>\nduring Tuesday&apos;s plenary meeting, but Akbar, who presided over<br>\nthe meeting, refused to discuss the petition, saying that his<br>\ndecision was in line with the House&apos;s internal rules.<\/p>\n<p>Golkar legislator Baharuddin Aritonang emphasized that there<br>\nwas no obligation to announce all motions submitted to House<br>\nleaders.<\/p>\n<p>Meanwhile, People&apos;s Consultative Assembly (MPR) Speaker Amien<br>\nRais predicted that Akbar would be able to maintain his<br>\nchairmanship in the House because legislators were not serious to<br>\nenforce the maneuver of no confidence against the convict.<\/p>\n<p>He said the move of the legislators to force Akbar down was<br>\nhalfhearted. &quot;That is our House. If there are only about 68 out<br>\nof 500 legislators give support to the maneuver, it means only 12<br>\npercent,&quot; Amien added, implying the mandatory vote of 50 percent<br>\nplus one to make a meaningful move against Akbar.<\/p>\n<p>According to Amien, the position of Akbar would be safe until<br>\na final and binding verdict was handed down.<\/p>\n<p>Akbar added that he would not ask the Supreme Court to speed<br>\nup his legal process or to slow down it. He said he hoped the<br>\ncourt would follow the existing rules. &quot;There must be no pressure<br>\non my case,&quot; Akbar added.<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/akbar-rebuffs-demands-to-quit-house-post-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}