{
    "success": true,
    "data": {
        "id": 1364339,
        "msgid": "24000-ri-workers-to-be-sent-home-1447893297",
        "date": "2003-04-15 00:00:00",
        "title": "24,000 RI workers to be sent home",
        "author": null,
        "source": "JP",
        "tags": null,
        "topic": null,
        "summary": "24,000 RI workers to be sent home MATARAM, West Nusa Tenggara: As a war in Iraq and the threat of a mysterious virus spread by travelers cast a pall over the labor market, 24,255 workers from East Nusa Tenggara will be sent home as their contracts expire this year, a local official said on Monday. Most of the 16,478 workers will be returning from Malaysia, said the head of the provincial manpower and transmigration office, Sirojul Munir.",
        "content": "<p>24,000 RI workers to be sent home<\/p>\n<p>MATARAM, West Nusa Tenggara: As a war in Iraq and the threat of a <br>\nmysterious virus spread by travelers cast a pall over the labor <br>\nmarket, 24,255 workers from East Nusa Tenggara will be sent home <br>\nas their contracts expire this year, a local official said on <br>\nMonday.<\/p>\n<p>Most of the 16,478 workers will be returning from Malaysia, <br>\nsaid the head of the provincial manpower and transmigration <br>\noffice, Sirojul Munir.<\/p>\n<p>Another 7,382 workers will return from Saudi Arabia, 212 <br>\nworkers from Brunei Darussalam, 128 workers from the United Arab <br>\nEmirates, 54 workers from Kuwait and one from Hong Kong, Sirojul <br>\nsaid.<\/p>\n<p>It remains unclear whether these countries might renew the <br>\nworkers' contracts. In Malaysia, the massive departure of workers <br>\ncould affect labor-intensive business sectors, such as <br>\nconstruction.<\/p>\n<p>Sirojul said West Nusa Tenggara sent a total of 40,000 workers <br>\noverseas this year, most of whom found employment in Malaysia.<\/p>\n<p>Workers are being sent home as the market for overseas work is <br>\nin a slump. Last week, Minister of Manpower and Transmigration <br>\nJacob Nua Wea suspended the dispatch of some 8,000 workers due to <br>\nthe global spread of the flu-like virus known as the Severe Acute <br>\nRespiratory Syndrome (SARS).<\/p>\n<p>Security jitters in the Middle East are also holding back the <br>\nsupply of workers. Indonesia has over 64,000 workers in the <br>\nregion, almost all of whom have remained there despite the war in <br>\nIraq. -- Antara<\/p>\n<p>;JP:bkm;<br>\nANPAa..r..<br>\nWKalimantan-women-council<br>\nWomen wanted for councillorship<br>\nJP\/  \/<\/p>\n<p>Women wanted for councillorship<\/p>\n<p>PONTIANAK, West Kalimantan: A group called Gemawan has collected <br>\nthe names of 256 women in West Kalimantan that it considers <br>\nqualified to contest the membership of the provincial legislature <br>\nduring the 2004 general election.<\/p>\n<p>Gemawan said its survey was in response to the new election <br>\nlaw, which sets aside a 30 percent quota for women in the <br>\nlegislature.<\/p>\n<p>The 256 women have backgrounds that represent the province's <br>\ndifferent religions, communities and organizations, the <br>\ncoordinator of Gemawan's women's division, Laili Khainur, said on <br>\nMonday.<\/p>\n<p>She said Gemawan sent out interviewers to various cities and <br>\ntowns in West Kalimantan to screen potential candidates from <br>\nacross the province.<\/p>\n<p>Next, she said, was to obtain the women's detailed profiles <br>\nand make them available on the Internet. Political parties could <br>\nthen access the information to aid in their recruitment.<\/p>\n<p>Laili said that the survey was a project led by the Center for <br>\nElectoral Reform (Cetro), a civil group that seeks to improve the <br>\nquality of Indonesia's elections. Cetro held similar surveys in <br>\nMedan, Makassar, Surabaya and Jakarta, she added. -- Antara<\/p>\n<p>;JP;bkm;<br>\nANPAa..r..<br>\nSeastSulawesi-forests-protected<br>\nSaving forests need concerted efforts<br>\nJP\/  \/Across<\/p>\n<p>Saving forests needs concerted efforts: Govt<\/p>\n<p>KENDARI, Southeast Sulawesi: Southeast Sulawesi Governor Ali Mazi <br>\ncalled on Monday for tighter cooperation between the government, <br>\ncivil groups and other organizations to save the province's <br>\nprotected forests from illegal logging.<\/p>\n<p>Ali urged universities, non-governmental organizations and <br>\nlocal communities to join hands with the government to save the <br>\nforests.<\/p>\n<p>He said the government could not fight illegal logging by <br>\nitself. Overlapping authority due to regional autonomy had led to <br>\npoor law enforcement against illegal loggers, Ali said.<\/p>\n<p>Some people often took the law into their own hands and <br>\nclaimed ownership of protected forests, he said urging people to <br>\nexercise what he called their \"ecological wisdom\", which would <br>\nhelp protect their forests for generations.<\/p>\n<p>\"But this wisdom gradually fades when people are made sky-high <br>\noffers from outsiders who are seeking to exploit the forests,\" <br>\nthe governor said.<\/p>\n<p>Timber, mining and plantation companies also impinge on <br>\nefforts to protect the forest from overexploitation, he said.<\/p>\n<p>Provinces across the country face similar problems with <br>\nillegal loggers. Environmental watchdogs largely blame this on <br>\npoor law enforcement since the authorities are either bribed to <br>\nignore illegal logging or a lack of funding has rendered their <br>\nefforts ineffective. -- Antara<\/p>",
        "url": "https:\/\/jawawa.id\/newsitem\/24000-ri-workers-to-be-sent-home-1447893297",
        "image": ""
    },
    "sponsor": "Okusi Associates",
    "sponsor_url": "https:\/\/okusiassociates.com"
}