Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Tens of companies have been taken to court for not registering their workers with state-owned workers insurance company PT Jamsostek, an official said.
Director for Manpower Supervision Affairs of the Directorate General of Manpower, Mudji Handojo, said here on Tuesday that in Jakarta, 19 companies had been tried for not taking part in the Jamsotek insurance program.
He said three other firms in Gorontalo, West Java and Riau provinces had also been taken to court for failure to join the workers` insurance program.
Handojo said most of the companies only registered some of their workers or reported only part of their wages with PT Jamsostek, thus violating regulations.
Law No.3/1992 obliges companies, which employ more than 10 workers or pay their workers at least Rp1 million a month for each person, to register their workers as participants of the insurance program with PT Jamsostek.
He said that the decision to prosecute negligent companies was basically a new policy because in the previous years since the reforms movement, no companies had been taken to court.
The law enforcement has shown a positive result, Handojo said. PT Jamsotek`s insurance participant target for this year, in Jakarta for example, has been achieved.(*)