Jakarta (ANTARA News) - State Enterprises Minister Sofyan Djalil said here on Wednesday the government would continue to pursue its 10,000 megawatt power plant project despite existing hindrances.
Speaking to reporters after a meeting with Vice President Jusuf Kalla, Sofyan said there were still problems hindering the project`s implementation . "The primary problem is financing. But, in principle, the government will continue its efforts to realize the plan," he said.
At the meeting attended by the president director of state-owned electricity company PLN, Eddy Widiono, and Industry Minister Fahmi Idris, it was decided that tbe government would send a team to China to negotiate with an investor there who was ineterested in the project.
The mammoth power generation plan was initiated by the Indonesian and Chinese governments but efforts to realize it have run into a snag.
Noting that Indonesia and the interested Chinese investor had already signed a contract, Sofyan said the provisions in the contract had to be implemented.
Asked about developments in the project, the minister said there were two main issues relating to the project, namely the contract which had already been put out for bidding and was no longer a problem, and financing.
About the team that would renegotiate the financing mechanism with the Chinese investor, he said the team would leave for China next week. The team would consist of representatives of the ministry of finance and other technical ministries concerned. (*)